Reflecting before speaking is a golden rule, but if you think so hard that you can not take action or lock yourself in an uncontrollable state of anxiety, you may be in trouble.
Looking for a way to stop thinking as much? Make an effort, and you will manage to control your thoughts relatively quickly!
Get rid of thoughts
Accept the fact that you think too much
Just as we need to eat, we need to think in order to survive, so it’s hard to judge when you go overboard and think too much. However, there are several signs that will tell you that you think too much. Here are a few.
- Are you constantly consumed by the same thought? Do your thoughts stagnate? If so, it could be a sign that you need to move on.
- Do you analyze the same situation under a million different angles? If you find too many different ways to see something before deciding what to do, you may be counterproductive.
- Have you asked your 20 closest friends what they think about a specific subject? If so, then it is time to realize that you can not indefinitely ask outside opinions, you would go crazy!
- Do people constantly tell you to stop thinking too much? Do people make fun of you, because you are philosophizing? If so … they may be right!
If you can not stop thinking too much, you will have to learn the meaning of releasing thoughts, so that you can then do it on command. Imagine that thinking is like breathing, you do it constantly, without even realizing it.
But if you must, you can hold your breath. Meditation will help you learn to relax your thoughts.
- Just taking 15 to 20 minutes to meditate each morning can have a big impact on your ability to stay in the present and get rid of your negative thoughts.
- You could also meditate in the evening, to help you decompress.
Running or even just walking quickly can help you get away from all those thoughts that clog your mind by focusing on your body. Participating in a particularly active activity, such as power yoga, a martial art or beach volleyball, will allow you to focus on your body so much that you will not have time to think.
Say your ideas out loud
Once you have said everything aloud, even if it is only by talking to yourself, you will have begun to get rid of your thoughts.
By expressing your thoughts, you will propagate your ideas in the world and take them out of your mind.
- You can tell your thoughts aloud for yourself or share them with a trusted friend.
Ask for advice
You may have exhausted your own thinking power, but someone else may be able to present you with a different perspective and facilitate your decision-making. This can help you get rid of troubling thoughts.
Your friend could help you feel better, lighten your problems and help you realize that you spend too much time thinking.
- In addition, by spending time with a friend, you will spend less time thinking! It’s a good start.
Take control of your thoughts
Make a list of the things that disturb you
Whether you write your list on paper or on a computer, you must first define your problem, write down your options, and list the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Seeing your thoughts in the face will also help you stop thinking about them in your head.
Once you have nothing left to write, your mind will have done its job and it will be time to stop thinking.
- If this list still does not help you make a decision, do not be afraid to follow your intuition. If two or more options seem equally desirable, further thinking will not clarify the situation. That’s when you have to listen to how you feel.
Keep a diary of things that disturb you
Instead of rehearsing your thoughts over and over again, release your mind every day from what is cluttering it.
After a week, review what you have written down and pointed out particularly recurring thoughts. You will have to deal with these thoughts first.
- Try writing in this journal several times a week. This will help you get into the habit of giving yourself time to think and cope with your thoughts, instead of letting them disturb you throughout the day.
Have a to-do list
Make a list of all the things you need to do in the day. Unless you’re going to be blacklisted on your priority list, it will make you realize that you have much more important things to do than sit and think about the meaning of the universe.
The quickest way to reorganize your thoughts is to face them with concrete solutions: if you think you have not been able to get enough sleep lately, plan to sleep more instead of worrying about it.
- Your list can address all areas of your life, such as spending more time with your family.
Set a time for daily reflection
It may seem difficult, but setting a time each day that you allow yourself to worry, think, dream and lose yourself in your thoughts can help you control your thoughts more productively.
If necessary, you could give yourself an hour, say 5 pm to 6 pm, every day. Then try to limit yourself to 5:00 pm to 5:30 pm If you have a cumbersome thought earlier in the day when you can not think about it, just say you’re worried about it at 5:00 pm
- It may sound ridiculous, but try before judging!
Live in the moment
Solve as many problems as possible
If your problem is that you think too much for nothing, worry for no reason or think about things you can not control, then you will not be able to do much to solve the problems that haunt your thoughts.
But think about the problems that you can solve and make a plan of action to face them, instead of rehearsing these thoughts, without ever making a decision. Here are some ideas to try.
- Instead of trying to guess whether you like a boy who makes you crack, take action and invite him out. At worst, what could happen?
- If you’re worried about your performance at work or school, make a list of all the things you can do to be more productive. And do these things!
- If you are the type to think and if … , try to start by doing things that are feasible at this very moment.
Surrounding yourself with people you love will allow you to talk more and think less.
Force yourself out several times a week and work to build lasting, deep relationships with at least two or three people that you can attend regularly.
- Spending time alone is certainly a good thing, but it’s important to diversify your day by dating friends, relaxing and having fun.
Find a pleasant hobby
Take the time to discover something totally different, that you do not know. Any new activity will require you to focus on what you do and the results you want to achieve.
Trying a new activity will help you live in the moment, focus on your art. For example :
- write a poem or a short story,
- take an evening class of history,
- attend a pottery class, learn how to make ceramics,
- do karate,
- try surfing,
- try to take your bike instead of driving.
There are many ways to dance: alone in your room, in a club with your friends or even taking a dance class, like a tap, jazz, foxtrot or swing.
Whatever style of dance you choose, you can move your body, listen to the lyrics and live in the moment.
It does not matter whether you know how to dance or not. In fact, if you do not know how to dance, you will focus even more on your movements and forget about your most stubborn thoughts.
- Taking a dance class will be a good way to try a new activity and to dance.
Get out of the house and start looking at the trees, smell the scent of roses and feel the fresh rain on your face.
This will help you to live in the moment, to appreciate the nature and fleetingness of your existence, as well as to realize that the outside world is much larger than the one you have created in your head. Put on your sneakers and get out of your room!
- Even if you do not like hiking, running, biking or surfing, make sure you walk in a park at least once or twice a week, on a weekend with your friends in the country.
- And if it all sounds too complicated, just get out of your house. Being outside in the sun will make you happier, healthier and less willing to mop up.
Focusing on other people’s thoughts will not only bring you a new perspective on life, but you will also avoid thinking too much about yourself.
In fact, reading biographies of men and women who inspire you and who have done great things could help you understand that behind every great thought lies just as much action.
And reading books will allow you to let your mind escape to a new world, which is always nice.
Make a list of gratitude
Every day, list at least 5 things you are grateful for. This will allow you to focus on people and things rather than your thoughts.
If you can not do it every day, try to do it every week. Every little thing counts, even the waiter who offers you a second coffee.
Be with people who make you laugh. Go see a fun play. Watch a funny movie or a comic series. Watch funny videos on YouTube.
Do everything you can to laugh, be folded in half and detach yourself from things that clutter your mind. Do not underestimate the role that laughter plays in your mental health.
Look at: How to Get Happy When You’re Sad